Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a Kohler toilet that needs the flapper replaced. I

Customer Question

I have a Kohler toilet that needs the flapper replaced. I have purchased a replacement from Kohler. I need to know how to remove the old flapper. I need to know how to remove the part of the flapper that attaches at the back on both sides of the pipe. I think if I can do that, I can see how to attach the new oneMany thanks,
Linda
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

On almost all Kohler toilets (there are a few exceptions) the arms of the flapper are just hooked over the posts at the base of the flush valve. You just pull the old ones off and pop the new ones over the posts. There should be 1 or 2 links of slack in the chain once you have the new flapper in place.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your answer. However, both the old flapper and the new one attach at two places, one on each side of the pipe. Both flappers have a circle on them where they connect to the pipe. There is a brace across the bottom of the circle. I cannot get the old one to come off without cutting part of the rubber. If I do that, I don't know how to attach the new flapper. My commode is a Kohler Cimarron and the Kohler part that I ordered is GP1078441. The new flappers look exactly the same as the old ones. Both are made of rubber. I hope that this is clear to you. I don't know all the proper plumbing terms and tools.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Yes one on each side of the pipe you'll note I said posts. Don't worry about the terminology I understand what you're saying but I'm not entirely clear on what you're seeing on the toilet since those arms should pull off the posts on the side of the pipe very easily. I wonder if some modifications were made. Can you post a picture here? Click on ADD FILES next to the SEND button to post a picture here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have attached a picture of the flapper that I ordered. I have also looked at the sides of the pipe and it appears that the flapper is supposed to be flexible enough to to maneuver it onto the posts. I am going to work with this awhile. If I have further questions, how would I reach you?
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

I know what the replacement part looks like. Your description of what's in the toilet doesn't sound right/original. Like I said before removing the flapper and installing a new one should be real easy on and off

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

That's why I asked for a picture of what's in the toilet now

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

You can come back to this thread any time. I'm online til ~7 pm EST. I'll respond as soon as I can

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome

Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

How did ths go?