Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

My Rinnai 16 Infinity fires up for a second or so then goes

Customer Question

Hi there,
My Rinnai 16 Infinity fires up for a second or so then goes out - displays error code 12. I've checked the vents. What should I do next?
Thanks Graham
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Billy replied 4 months ago.

My name is***** see your question stumped the panel here.

I just logged on and saw you had not received an answer yet.

I am willing to help you if you still need assistance. Just let me know how the project is going and I can help you or close this question for you.

Once again I apologize for the delay.

Billy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi there Billy, Thanks for offering to help. As I said my tank-less HWS (Rinnai Infinity 16) doesn't sustain a flame after about 1 or 2 seconds. Things I've tied so far. gas supply ok = fresh propane bottle. water supply ok outlet runs firstly just a bit warm then cold, , which I would expect given no flame!and vents on front face of unit all clear I also opened the front panel then freaked out at all the electronics etc so screwed the cover back on and then approached "Just Answer" hence you. What next please - if I need to check the flame detector head and its condition how do I do this. Have you got/can you send maintenance step-step diagrams, please? Also are spares readily available where I live (140 Forge Creek Road, Eagle Point, Vic Aust) Over to you for now.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, Thanks for that. Right now its only 6.15am and I'll be on line again later when I have more time to go out to the unit - its in the paddocks where its used as a horse wash and I need to get organised. Hope you will be able to help as its bugging me to bits. By the way the unit is only about 3 years old and this fault has only just surfaced after all that time which I find really strange. Nothing obvious has happened to cause this. Is it a common fault or occurrence on these units wonder?? It probably is best for you to walk me through a fault diagnosis - Can I call you, perhaps? If so let me have your phone number also, please.
Expert:  Billy replied 4 months ago.

you will want to remove the vent pipe and check for any nest or obstructions first. That is a common issue for code 12

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, actually I was quite disappointed in the help I got to my problem with a "tankless" Rinnai hot water service. Having tried all the suggestions from just Ask I found out myself that the problem causing a "no flame error code 12 " was indeed water in the gas line which prevented sufficient flow to the burner hence the flame out signal. I give this information so you can update your own fault diagnosis solutions. Regards Graham* Cheers Graha *