Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Just replaced the tub valves to see if the water would stop

Customer Question

Just replaced the tub valves to see if the water would stop leaking thru the spout. I turned the water on and it still leaks when the handles are closed. What can I do.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 22 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.
Do you mean you replaced the valve stems and it still leaks? if so did you replace the valve seats?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Replaced valve stems and valve seats
Expert:  Rick replied 22 days ago.

If you replaced the valve stems and seats and the valve still leaks then you've done all you can. The valve will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
What do you mean valve will need to be replaced, I just put new valve stems what is the valve?
Expert:  Rick replied 22 days ago.

The valve is the entire device. What you screwed the valve stems into. There are no other parts you can replace that will stop it from leaking. The valve body must have an internal defect.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
What does s valve body look like?
Expert:  Rick replied 22 days ago.

They're all different. You have to get into the wall to get to it. Once you have the wall open you'll be able to see the entire valve. If this is a tile wall we routinely replace valves by cutting a hole just big enough to work through then there is a cover plate to cover the hole. You'll need to cut the pipes and install a new single handle valve if you want to do this yourself. If you have copper pipes you'll need to know how to solder copper to do this.

Expert:  Rick replied 22 days ago.

Do you have anymore questions?