Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I am trying to remove the cap off the handle of a Moen

Customer Question

I am trying to remove the cap off the handle of a Moen Aberdeen oil rubbed bronze single handle faucet. I've tried to pry it off and twist it off. Moen told me it's a screw off and even sent a replacement cap (which has a screw) in case I damage the existing cap. I've tried WD 40 and using a rubber gripper to turn it to no avail. Any ideas how to loosen so I can replace the cartridge? Thanks!
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The handle on this model has a set screw in the back you have to remove the set screw then pull the handle off. Here is a link to the parts blow up so you can see how it goes together
http://www.moen.com/product-support/aberdeen/oil-rubbed-bronze-one-handle-high-arc-pulldown-kitchen-faucet/_/R-CONSUMER%3A7590ORB?catalogSku=CONSUMER:7590ORB#iframe://docs.google.com/gview?url=http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/exploded-parts-views/7590pt.pdf&embedded=true

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
My faucet does not have a set screw. Perhaps because it is the discontinued Aberdeen model CA7590ORB? It's 8 years old
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

That is the exact same model as shown in the link. The set screw is covered by a plug. It's in the back of the handle not the top. Did you check out the exploded parts view in the link I sent?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I did. There is no plug on the back of the handle, as shown in the exploded parts pic. I felt behind the handle turned it all the way around and looked at it with my flashlight and it is smooth.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I just slipped a razor blade under the cap. I can slide the blade under 1/2 the cap, but it is squeezed tight on the other 1/2. I think it may have been screwed back on slightly cock-eyed last time it was removed and is now cross threaded. Is that a possibility and do you think I might have to damage my faucet to get that cap off ?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I just got it off! There was crud in there-- I think sliding the blade in between the cap and handle base loosened it up. The set screw is inside-- UNDER the cap. Now I need the right sized hex wrench to get that out! (Thanks for your help, but since I figured it out on my own, do I still owe for the answer?
Expert:  cole replied 23 days ago.

if you still need assistance let me know. that allen wrench is usually not a standard size. but if your having trouble finding that wrench i can refer you to a moen part number that includes a new wrench and usually pretty cheap for the kit. just let me know and i can proceed with part number that includes wrench you need. i also know these moen faucets pretty well if you need any other help. my company has been installing moen products since 1957. thanks

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi Cole! I did have the Allen wrench that fits the setscrew but the setscrew was under the. My problem was trying to get the Off to get to the setscrew! In the end I had sprayed some WD-40 around the edge of the And I eventually slip the straight edge razor blade underneath the And was able to Loosen it so that I could screw it off it seems that some sort of protective coating on the Itself had disintegrated and kind of frozen it to the top of the base of the handle
Expert:  cole replied 22 days ago.

well you did the right thing it sounds like. I usually use a razor blade on those caps. If you need any further assistance let me know. If you ever have to replace the cartridge or o rings i am very familiar with doing that. Hope it all works out. Also moen is very helpful through there tech support line. Have a good day.