Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I turned off my water before leaving overnight yesterday.

Customer Question

I turned off my water before leaving overnight yesterday. How long should I let cold water run now that I'm back home before it's safe to use in all ways?
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: No problem. I just turn my main valve off yesterday before going away for the night. I got home now turn the water back on and it's running fine. I'm just concerned over how long I should let the cold water run through the taps before it safe to drink or Washingto I just turn my main valve off yesterday before going away for the night. I got home now turn the water back on and it's running fine. I'm just concerned over how long I should let the cold water run through the taps before it safe to drink or wash in?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: All I had to do was turn the main water valve off and then turn it back on. My question is how long do I let the water stay running before it's considered safe to drink and/or wash in. it was off for just about 24 hours. That's how long I was away till I came back home
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's it. I look forward to your answer
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 29 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Just turning the water off for a day or so (even longer) doesn't make it unsafe to drink. If you didn't drain the pipes then the water should be no different than when you left.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Rick, so you are saying that after turning my home's main shut off valve off for 24 hours, opening the cold spickets so the water would drain before I left...and now that I'm home 24 hours later, after running the water for 20 minutes it is safe to use for washing, drinking, etc.? Thanks.
Expert:  Rick replied 29 days ago.

Yes that's what I'm saying. Turning the water off doesn't make it unfit to drink. But if you drained the water out of the pipes by opening several faucets then turning the water back on could stir up some sediment that clings to the inside of the pipes. If this is the case then letting the water run for a couple minutes will flush out any sediment. If the water flow from a sink faucet is reduced it's because that sediment is clogging the aerator and you'll have to unscrew it from the end of the spout and clean it out.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thanks Rick!
Expert:  Rick replied 29 days ago.

You're welcome