Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

HAVE A WHIRLPOOL WATER HEATER (GAS)PILOT KEEPS GOING OUT

Customer Question

HAVE A WHIRLPOOL WATER HEATER (GAS)PILOT KEEPS GOING OUT RESET THERMAL RESET BUTTON LIGHTS UP GOES THROUGH CYCLE AND GOES OUT , IS FRUSTRATING , HAVE CALL BEFORE THEY SEND ME A SET OF INSTRUCTIONS FROM TECH SUPPORT BUT STILL NO GOOD RESULTS, HAVE CLEAN SCREEN ON BOTTOM AND FVIR, HELP
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: MODEL IS BFG1J4040T3NOV
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the thermal switch is kind of loose
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If the thermal reset keeps tripping then you probably have a blockage in the exhaust either in the tank or in the exhaust piping. Could also be a bad thermal sensor or a gas control valve that's allowing too much gas pressure through to the burner.