WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber/Estimator
6211579

I recently installed a new kitchen as part of a basement

Customer Question

I recently installed a new kitchen as part of a basement remodel. I notice a remarkable drop in water pressure at the new sink faucet where compared to all
JA: Just to clarify, are you working with a contractor?
Customer: No, I installed a 3/4" PEX line (both hot and cold) by tapping into the 3/4" trunk lines where the water main enters the house. All the other water lines in the house are copper.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: At the fixture I used a reducer valve from 3/4" to 1/2".
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I read somewhere that PEX shouldn't be run point to point and that a manifold should be used. It's only the one water supply to the new kitchen faucet that is PEX. everything else is copper.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is Wade and I look forward to helping you!

I think you've done everything right, but may have broken some debris free that's caught in the facet or cartridge. To confirm this unhook faucet from supply valves and see if you have good pressure there.

Expert:  WCohn replied 1 month ago.

Did I state that so it makes sense?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I removed the faucet head, flushed the water lines and cleaned the screen to remove any debris that was in the lines. This helped as I only had a trickle when I first tested. After flushing the lines and cleaning the fixture screen, I now have closing water but the pressure , while minimally acceptable, is still much less than every other fixture in the house using copper lines.

Expert:  WCohn replied 1 month ago.

I can guarantee it's not because of the PEX. Did you check pressure at valves under sink? This will eliminate the faucet from the equation. If you have good pressure under the sink then you have debris in the faucet. Generally this happens at the cartridge. If you do not have good pressure under the sink then you most likely have debris at the stop valves.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Thanks. I will check the pressure tonight after work. I'll also test with another fixture that is new and therefore not clogged with debris.

Expert:  WCohn replied 1 month ago.

Ok let me know

Expert:  WCohn replied 25 days ago.

How was it?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

It ended up being debris in the lines. Thank you.

Expert:  WCohn replied 25 days ago.

I'd appreciate a positive rating for helping you out