Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

The gas must have been turned off to the house. The water

Customer Question

The gas must have been turned off to the house. The water was barely warm and upon checking water heater, it was not working. Trying to relight the pilot, the plastic knob broke apart in my hand. Got the pilot lit but burner would come on for a few minutes and then go out. I was considering changing the control valve/thermostat. Do you think that would take care of the problem?
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: The problem arose yesterday. As to severity, if I can fix it, good, or I will have to replace the heater.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Unless it turns out to be more than I can do.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I was trying to determine if changing the control valve would remedy the situation, maybe replacing the manifold assemble or the thermocouple. I would prefer to buy a new tank.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If the knob broke you need to replace the gas control valve. But if the unit is 8 or more years old you're better off just replacing the water heater. It's probably not worth the expense to replace the gas valve since the tank could leak at any time. Gas fired water heaters usually only last 8 to 10 years.