Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

Is it okay with building code to stub up a gas line inside a

Customer Question

Is it okay with building code to stub up a gas line inside a home directly underneath a free standing gas fireplace and then connect the stove to the main gas line inside the hollow base of the fireplace itself? The gas line would not be visible, nor accessible unless the fireplace was moved. We will have a key shut-off valve installed in the floor beside the fireplace.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Is the fire place being used or will it be used?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it is brand new and will be used. The gas line will supply the gas to it from underneath the floor.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The fireplace will be connected to the main line and then placed directly on top of the connection so it will be hidden inside the hollow base of the free standing fireplace and will not be accessible unless the fireplace is lifted or moved. We are having a key shut-off valve installed in the floor per code.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Then you description is confusing/unclear. The pipe can't be in an active fire box but it's common practice to come up through the brick floor of a masonry fire place to feed a gas log. You mention a stove so that's what doesn't compute.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's a free standing fireplace and the gas line will come up through the floor into the unit to feed a gas log set up. I just wanted to make sure that the connection from the flex line in the fireplace to the main line in the floor did not need to be accessible.
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

You can't bury a union connection to a flex. It has to be above the floor. It sounds like you have a gas cock that accessible in the same space so you're OK there.