Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

No hot water being dispensed just changed the shut off valve

Customer Question

No hot water being dispensed just changed the shut off valve but nothing is happening when I turn it on
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: 3 months, I have to get hot water from the bathtub to do dishes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Are you automated?
JA: No. I'm the Plumber's Assistant.
Customer: Yes I plan doing it myself
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nope
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Is there no water or is it a trickle? If you disconnect the supply line from the shut off do you get water from the shut off?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No water and yes I do
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

Is the kitchen faucet new? If you remove the cartridge in the faucet does the water get through to there? Cold works fine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just moved into this house 3 months ago to my knowledge it worked before moving in but now nothing fixing to try to take faucet off
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

Don't do that yet.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

Do you get cold water? Have you removed the cartridge to see if the hot water gets to there?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

Not much point in removing the faucet. Surely it is a simple thing. Probably will be quickly assessed if you accept the phone call offer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Cold works fine, I know I get hot water through the valve because it sprayed water from the hose when I turned the water back on
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i don't have extra money to spend for the call
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

Fair enough. Stick with me then. Don't do anything until I can ask a few more questions and we can work it out. So the issue is the exact same before and after replacing the shut off valve? Does the faucet have braided supply lines?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

So, those braided hoses have the nut that tightens to the shut off and it pulls the flange towards the shut off to seal against the shut off port. The nut is supposed to turn and the flange is not....but it often does. Then the hose gets twisted, sometimes up high near where it goes into the valve. Have a look with a flashlight and look to see if it is twisted. If it is then turn the water off, disconnect the supply then reconnect it but hold the shank of the flange with some channel locks while tightening the nut so the line does not twist.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

I do not type very fast but as soon as you respond I start typing my response. Sometimes if I have a lot of information it might take a few minutes for me to type but be confident I am typing the response right away.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I've unhooked the braided line from the other line coming from the head of the faucet. I'm still getting water from the valve. So from the braided line from the faucet isn't working
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

Now reconnect it but hold the shank of the line above the nut while tightening the nut so the line does not twist.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Still nothing I've unhooked again and the screen on the braided hose to the faucet looks obscured
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

Did you hold the shank when tightening? Have you looked at the hose up high with a flashlight to see if it is twisted or kinked? What brand faucet is this?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

Will you tell me what has happened so far so that I can recommend what would be next if the issue is not resolved?