Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

We have a double sink in our bathroom. Both back up when

Customer Question

We have a double sink in our bathroom. Both back up when water is run in either. Drains are clear from both to the wall. I have put a snake through the wall several feet, but suspect it is going vertically rather than horizontally. Can you help?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 8 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

While it is possible for the snake to go up the vent instead of down the drain you can't make that assumption when you only go out several feet. You need to go out as much as 25' to rule out that possibility. All you can do if the snake goes up the vent is to pull it back and try again. Eventually it will go down the drain. The best tool for this job is a power snake (see attached pic) which can be rented at a tool rental outlet. Hand powered auger type snakes can also work but are not as consistently effective.