Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

I turn on both the hot and cold faucets in my shower, but no

Customer Question

I turn on both the hot and cold faucets in my shower, but no water comes out
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: It has been for a couple of months and it is severe
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I know of. Except when they installed my new furnace a while back, all the banging and stuff they did allowed a small trickle of water to come out for a short time
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 9 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

How many handles does your shower valve/faucet have ? 1? 2? 3? what type of piping do you have connected to the shower valve?faucet? copper? galvanized? any galvanized piping in the house?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
the shower has 2 faucets. I don't know what kind of piping I have
Expert:  Rick replied 9 days ago.

Ok, the 2 most likely possibilities are either a clogged shower head or clogged piping. Try unscrewing the shower head then check if you have any flow out of the shower arm (the pipe the head screws onto) with the head removed. If you still don't have any flow I suspect you have galvanized piping that is clogged with rust. The only fix for that is new piping. The fix for the first problem is a new shower head if you have flow with the head removed.