cole
cole, Plumber
Experience:  tech support, purchasing and sales at my family owned business.
95045110

I have a Toto dual flush toilet that leaks. I replaced the

Customer Question

I have a Toto dual flush toilet that leaks. I replaced the Flush Valve Assembly W/ Mounting. Part # THU224. It still leaks
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: A few weeks
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I assembled the toilet myself after purchase and had no problem for 3 yeras and I replaced the Flush valve a few weeks ago
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Is it leaking from underneath?

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Since you have already replaced the fill valve you will need to check the water coming into the toilet by turning off the water that supplies the toilet and disconnecting the water supply line. After removing the water supply line turn on the water at the valve to make sure that the water is flowing properly. Check the supply line also to make sure it is not plugged.
Be sure and place a small container to catch the water that will come from the valve. A towel will also help from making too much of a mess.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is leaking into the bowl not outside
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Water is flowing properly
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is nothing to add. I am awaiting your response
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Here is a direct response from TOto regarding this issue to another customer

"I apologize for the unusual trouble you have had. This is far and away not a common issue with our toilets and the model you have does not have any known problems in this area. I know its no consolation to you and understand your frustrations, but I am as surprised and concerned as you.

Your present tank that has had the flush valve tightened but still leaks could be fixed with a replacement flush valve. Our manufacturing process includes human tightening by extremely reliable and repeatable manual Torque Wrenches. Your flush valve that seemed tight but moved suggests, it may indeed have been properly tightened but may have had an imperfection in the seal or even a possible case of the plastic itself being warped and defective.

Again I apologize for the repeated similar problems but ask that you allow us to help you by sending you a new flush valve, tank gasket, and tank to bowl hardware. These new components correctly installed will solve your problem. The flush valve nut does not need to be extremely tight only that a large enough tool be used to sufficiently seal it. During the replacement, I recommend a very close investigation of the inside the tank sealing surfaces where the gaskets sit and the bowl connection area, too. Look for any signs of imperfections, hairline cracks, or even raised ridges or lines. These are highly unlikely but I strongly recommend special attention to cover any and all possibilities. If you do find an imperfection or odd shape in the area you may elect to return the component for a replacement as defect."

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When will you resend the replacement part and by what means? My address is:
1822 Santa Fe Ave
Del Mar Ca 92014
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

No that was not from me personally that was a reply from TOTO you would need to reach out to them to see if they will do the same for you. I physically do not have any parts for any units. I just assist in figuring out what the problem maybe. It sounds like the fill valve is the problem and the replacement part is just not working.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is some additional information that I just got by tinkering which I hadn't noticed before which may be significant. When the water is turned on there is leaking into the bowl. However when I turn off the water, there is no leaking even though the bowl is full. This suggests to me that the leak is not through the flush valve. What do you think?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I sent this information above to you first so it sounds like the problem may be in your supply line and will have to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How does the water get from a faulty supply line to the bowl?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

What it is doing is breaking down the fill valve and causing the issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What does "breaking down the fill valve mean"?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

by putting air into it. You may also want to check the flapper because that is a common issue as well that could be causing this leaking.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where is the flapper? So we are now talking about the fill valve. How do I check on that?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Its in the tank its the rubber piece that plugs the hole.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Where you able to check out the flapper?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cannot see a flapper. The fill valve is a completely enclosed structure
Expert:  cole replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, I'm Cole. I do not know why thee other expert had to leave but i will try and help. I see in one of your reposes says when you shut water off it stops. well that tells me its in the fill valve not the flush valve. sometimes its because it gets plugged with sediment but hard to clean most times. so if it stops when shut off make sure the fill valve is adjusted so that it does not flow over the top of the overflow/refill tube. if water level is ok than go ahead and replace the fillvalve/ballcock

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure exactly where the overflow/refill tube is but is there a diagram available someplace. At the back of the bowl there is a horizontal line which has WL above it which I assume means "water level". The water level initially fills to about the horizontal line and there is no flow into the bowl. After a few minutes the water level rises to above the WL and there is flow into the bowl.
Expert:  cole replied 1 month ago.

does this look like the fill valve you have. if so i would replace this fill valve. korky makes multiple types you need the on with blue top that's specifically says its for toto. that should fix an issue with water running through.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It looks like what you show but it is green. Is there a parts number? My bowl is a ST416M
Expert:  cole replied 1 month ago.

this is what i pulled up on this. so thats toto number but you can probably purchase the korky version if someone has one.