Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I have a three story home with cast iron radiators and a 2

Customer Question

Hello,I have a three story home with cast iron radiators and a 2 year old Weil Mclain boiler. I have two current zones and one available on the boiler. Both zones have Taco 007 F5 circulators. One zone is for the first floor (kitchen & Den) and only has three small radiators on the zone. I put that zone in when I put the heater in two years ago and it all 3/4 pex inline with a tee before the first radiator (I was going to add another radiator in the dining room but never did as the spaces heats well now). I keep zone one warmer than the rest of the house. Zone two is the original in the house with about 20 radiators on all 3 floors. My master bath is on the third floor one one radiator in it. I would like to remove it from zone two and connect it to zone 1. I have the open tee in the basement and a capped return I could connect it to.My question:
Can I just add it to zone one and the engage the valve on the first of three inline radiators so that it only take about 40% flow so that 60% would be used to go up to the master bath on the third floor. Or should I add another circular (jumped from the existing one) to push the water up to the third floor. Or- Should I add another circulator with a flow sensor that kicks on when it senses the flow. My last option would be to just add a ZONE 3.Thoughts?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I have a different take on your options. Since the Master bath is on the 3rd floor and not in the same space as the zone you want to connect it to you will have no control over the heat in the Master unless you install a thermostat for the Master. This leaves you with 2 options. Either install 2 zone valves, 1 for the original space and 1 for the Master or add a 3rd pump which sounds like a relatively easy option since you apparently have left provisions for an additional zone. I prefer pumps over zone valves.

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if you have questions about control wiring/config. Or do you have any more questions?