Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

I have a floor drain that is recessed with 2 holes, 1 to the

Customer Question

I have a floor drain that is recessed with 2 holes, 1 to the city sewer and the other I belveie to drain the basement french drain (? 90 year old house)..the one to the sewer has a plug that screws to seal the water from backflowing in but the other one did not have the plug as I assumed it only runs under the basement floor. But recently the sewer line from the house hit a clog in the city sewer and sewage backed up into the basement apparently through this 2nd hole. Would plug this hole stop this backflow and what are these plugs called so I can find them in a plumbing store to seal this 2n hole, should that be the only way sewage is backing into the basement
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Is there anything draining into the floor drain like a condensation drain? Is there a bathroom or laundry in the basement?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

yes there is laundry in basement. see the picture. Im told the sewer water drained back into the basement from this side hole but it would seem the bottom hole would lead to the city sewer not the side pipe..right?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 month ago.

Does any water come out of the small pipe? it may be a trap primer but unlikely. It also may be a condensation drain but it would not connect to the sewer. If the sewer backed up then it would come out where the plug is or out of the laundry sink.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 month ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 month ago.

I see you still have not positively rated my service. Although the only way that I get paid is when my service is positively rated, it also tells me that you have not received the information that you were seeking to find a solution to your issue. Will you let me know what affect the information I provided had on the issue at hand and how else I may be able to help?