Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Ok my pressure relief valve leaks on my oil burner even

Customer Question

ok my pressure relief valve leaks on my oil burner even after I replaced it twice. I also replaced my expansion tank and the air relief valve above it and it still leaks
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: perhaps a week ago it started
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Does the pressure rise when the boiler is cold?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its not warm enough to shut it off to find out.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the gauge on the boiler says 20ish lb
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Ok, then turn off the water feed to the boiler. 20 psi is fine if the boiler is warm/hot. Relief valve should discharge at 30 psi. There are only 2 possibilities; either the feeder isn't properly regulating the pressure let into the boiler and is letting too much pressure in (so you shut the water off to check this) or you have an expansion problem. Since you replaced the tank the only expansion issue would be if the tank is too small.

Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

There is one other possibility if you have a domestic hot water coil in the boiler or you have an indirect fired water heater with a coil in the tank. If either one of these coils has a leak then it's letting water into the boiler at full water system pressure.

Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

I'm logging off for the night. If you have more questions I'll respond in the morning. If you don't I'd appreciate a favorable rating. The thread won't go away and I'll answer related follow up questions even after you rate me favorably.

Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Do you have more questions?