Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

I have a two story home, water pressure in the basement

Customer Question

I have a two story home, water pressure in the basement shower has gone to a very low pressure when turning on the hot water. Has been that way for months, now the kitchen sink has the same problem however the upstairs shower is fine. Curious of what could be the cause? any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 28 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Have you tried cleaning the aerators on the affected faucets?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thx Rick, no I have not but have no idea what or where the aerators are?
Expert:  Rick replied 28 days ago.

An aerator is on the end of a faucet spout. You just unscrew it and clean out the sediment which can reduce the flow significantly.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
if it does not affect the cold pressure why does it affect the hot if its a dirty aerator?
Expert:  Rick replied 28 days ago.

Ok, it wasn't clear to me this was hot water only. How many handles does the basement shower have?

Expert:  Rick replied 28 days ago.

I'm referring to the shower valve/faucet

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Just one the kitchen sick obviously has just one but the side sprayer has no pressure at all
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
It is a singular twist faucet right to left turning has you turn it left for hotter water the pressure diminishes
Expert:  Rick replied 28 days ago.

If the shower has a single handle then the cartridge in the shower valve will probably need to be replaced. Kitchen sinks can have 1 or 2 handles. The side sprayer problem is most likely due to a problem with the diverter in the faucet. If the flow out of the spout is poor just on the hot side then the hot side of the faucet could be clogged. It could be in the faucet it self or possibly the washer in the shut off under the sink could have broken loose and is restricting the flow. I'd need the brand and model of either faucet to give you specifics.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
when I get home I will look for the information you need can I text back when I arrive home later today? I am thinking of just doing the live phone at that time?
Expert:  Rick replied 28 days ago.

You won't find the info on the faucets. If you don't have the invoice(s) or know the model a picture might help. I'm online until ~7 pm EDT (I do take breaks) I'll respond as soon as I can. I need the models or pics before I can give you any model specific info.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you Rick I will reply to you as soon as I get home have a great day!
Expert:  Rick replied 28 days ago.

Expert:  Rick replied 25 days ago.

What happened? Do you still need help with this?