Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor

I have an American Standard Toilet that has a new

Customer Question

I have an American Standard Toilet that has a new Fluidmaster adjustable flapper, and the flushes correctly about 1/3 of the time. The rest of the time it needs extra flushes regardless of what's being flushed. Not sure what else can be the issue. I'm almost tempted to glue a taller inner pipe inside to force it to fill higher and get a better flush.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  WCohn replied 1 month ago.

When you look into the tank while flushing does the flapper come all the way up? Are the "arms" that connect it to the fill tube floppy or semi rigid?

Expert:  cole replied 1 month ago.

Hi There, I'm Cole. I see your asking about pluming and I think I can help as I have over 10 years of experience in this field.

Expert:  cole replied 1 month ago.

Did this happen at all before you replaced the flapper?

Did you replace the flapper with the same flapper that came out?

If not can you tell me the model name or number of the toilet and also the new flapper?

I will be glad to assist.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Things seemed to be a little less functional and so I replaced with the adjustable Fluidmaster.
Things seemed to work better immediately and then seemed to get sporadic. Currently it takes an average of 2 flushes to vacate the bowl.
The flush doesnt seem as powerful, even when holding the handle through the entire process.
Toilet is an American Standard Cadet 3
Flapper is Fluidmaster adjustable PRO58
Expert:  cole replied 1 month ago.

Is the water level in the bowl the same level as it was previously?

If so i would take a 5 gallon bucket and dump it down the bowl directly (not the tank but in the bowl directly)- it should go through the bowl as fast as you dump it. Or it may rise up and go down slow. let me know the outcome of this test if you get there. We will get it figures out :)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Water level looks the same, and dumping a large bucket of water went down normally.
Expert:  cole replied 30 days ago.

have you ever had any kind of disinfectant tablets in the tank?

good to here on the bucket that means the sewer line is fine.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No disinfectant. I've wondered if there may be an object in the toilet that allows water to pass fine but not hit or miss on solids. Something that pivoted and partially closed down now and then like a comb might explain the oddness. Can I snake the toilet and make it all the way into the lower pluming to verify if that's the case?