Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

We have this fixture in an old house in the bathroom. What

Customer Question

We have this fixture in an old house in the bathroom. What is it and how can I clean it or replace it? Looks like a soap dish but it isn't
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It is a nook/soap dish. The actual soap dish hung on those 2 studs in the bottom front. It looks like the chrome plating is worn off so there is no effective way to clean it. Your replacement options are pretty varied. There are many prefab nooks that can replace it. Finding one the same size may be a challenge but a larger one will work you just have to cut the tile with a grinder to make the hole bigger.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where can I find the soap dish attachment?
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

There is a very remote chance that you might find one at an architectural salvage store but that's a real shot in the dark. If you want a soap dish your best bet would be to replace this nook.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Does it have a particular name I can search for?
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Nothing that would specifically identify this particular item. It's a "vintage" partially recessed soap dish.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you find me one on eBay?
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

It's highly unlikely you'll find one anywhere.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

If you want me to search one out for you I will require some additional compensation since it will be very time consuming and I can't guarantee I will be successful in my search.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's ok you can close the conversation
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Sorry I didn't have better news.