Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

We just had our master bath redone. We took out the old

Customer Question

We just had our master bath redone. We took out the old shower stall and made a linen closet, then removed an unused soaking tub and put in a big walk-in shower. It is great looking. It has a big rain head shower and a hand held shower. It has a one piece handle and a diverter nobe to switch from rain head to hand held or to use both at the same time. The problem is a very loud teeth chattering screaming sound when you move the diverter nob. I saw the plumbing in the wall and they secured it very well and before they put on all the exterior "stuff" there was no awfull sounds. What is it?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Well just about a week, since the construction was completed.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: What work? I hope it is something easy. I do not think the plumber will return, long story there.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Well the plumbing when from a standard two fawcet to a one handle.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like you either have a defective valve cartridge or possibly a bad shower head. Is it quiet in one diverter position or does it scream all the time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It only screams when we have both rain head and hand held on together. Like when u r changing from one to the other.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Ok, if the noise doesn't happen when either head is on by itself then the problem is likely in the diverter. You need to call the plumber back and have him take the diverter apart and clean it. There could be some debris in the valve that's causing the noise. If that doesn't work it may need to be rebuilt or replaced (only as a last resort).

Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Do you have more questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please stop this service for me. I am sure the plumber tried to help, but we called the contractor and he told us what was happening and we were able to correct the problem immediately. The only reason I tried this service was because I could not get ahold of the contractor, but he called back the next day. I want this service stopped as it was a free service. Do not bill my CC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Ok, thanks for trying Just Answer