Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I drained my hot water tank yesterday. I had not done it for

Customer Question

I drained my hot water tank yesterday. I had not done it for awhile. After turning the cold water supply back on I let the tank fill overnight. I woke up this morning to a wet basement, with water coming out of the "overflow" / T&P valve at a steady rate. There was no hot or cold water when I turned on a faucet. I shut the cold water supply to the water heater off & now have cold water coming through the faucet. Did I miss something?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You didn't miss anything except that perhaps you need a thermal expansion tank for the water heater or the tank you have has failed. What likely happened is that you filled the tank entirely with cold water and when that water heated up the expansion of the cold water raised the water pressure to the point where your relief valve discharged. It may never happen again but you'll need to replace the relief valve if it doesn't stop leaking.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?