Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I am replacing a moen 1225 cartridge. The retaining clip is

Customer Question

I am replacing a moen 1225 cartridge. The retaining clip is stuck fast. What do I do?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you can't pull it out the top try tapping/driving the bottom of each side of the horseshoe clip up from the bottom. You can use a small thin screwdriver. I assume you turned the water off first.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The clip still won't budge.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

How about a picture of this problem clip? I've replaced hundreds of these cartridges and never had this problem. You can post a pic here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have a digital camera. I can't see much of the clip but it looks like the ones I have seen in various YouTubes on this topic. I am tempted to pour some hot citric acid on it to dissolve any lime deposits that I can't see.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

PB Blaster or even white vinegar will work too. You can get PB Blaster at most Lowes or Home Depots