Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

We live in a two story house with two bathrooms upstairs and

Customer Question

We live in a two story house with two bathrooms upstairs and one downstairs. The downstairs toilet has had a strange smell coming from it for a couple of months and it seems to be getting worse despite all our efforts to keep it clean. The seal around the bottom is good. Apart from getting a plumber in is there anything we can do?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.

Are you 100% sure it's the toilet?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I'm 90% sure the smell is coming up through the toilet but not 100% sure the issue is the toilet or something else. I ask my next door neighbor and she hasn't noticed anything different in her toilet. I think I read somewhere online about a possible "P Tube" issue in the toilet.

Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.

There is a built in p-trap, but if there is water in the toilet then it's not the p-trap. The only other source where a toilet can smell is the wax ring. Now you say it's sealed well. Are you meaning the caulking around the toilet? The wax ring is not visible without removal.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I believe the wax ring and for sure the caulking was replaced about a year ago. One of our next door neighbors said their OUTSIDE drain smells badly by the way.

Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.

Okay you can do a smoke test and find ANY source of sewer smell

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thanks. How do we do a smoke test?

Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.

I can describe it best over the phone.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. Would tomorrow work and how much would the phone call cost?

Also, as I have no plumbing experience or equipment would it be best to spend money with a local plumber in case I pay you for a phone call but am not equipped to fix or assess the issue?

Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.

You can call me now if you like. Its $12 for the phone call. You need a shop vac and a coffee can.

Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.

Also a quick trip to a feed store and duct tape