How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marc Your Own Question
Marc, Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 1126
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Marc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to remove the shower control handle American Standard

Customer Question

I need to remove the shower control handle American Standard Seva but there is no screw in it. There is a hole up underneath the handle where you can see through to the cap over the cartridge housing -- but no visible way to see what's holding the handle on.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: since yesterday. shower is being retiled, so handle must come off
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: taking the handle off? yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, that's it
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

There's an allen set screw up in that hole you need to fish around until you find it. If my memory is accurate it should be a 1/8" or 9 /32" allen wrench.

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

The allen wrench is 3/32" according to the American Standard site.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no allen screw visible. Or any other kind of screw. All you see through the hole is the shiny metal of the cap covering the cartridge housing, as I stated previously.
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

I saw what you said. I'm telling you there is a set screw up inside that hole under the lever. I've installed dozens of these faucets and removed the handles on more. The screw is there but you have to fish around with your allen wrench to find it.

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Of course you have to pop/pry the plug off to get to it

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have looked through the hole with a flashlight to find a screw, and all I see -- even as I turn the lever from side to side -- is the chrome cover cap on the cartridge housing. There is no screw anywhere.
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Have you tried an allen wrench? Here's the install instructions for your valve trim. As you can see they show an allen screw.