Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor

We have a toilet with intake holes closed up with hard water

Customer Question

We have a toilet with intake holes closed up with hard water build up. Have tried Lime Away which didn't touch it. Am trying Zep Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner with no result. Is there a product you could recommend that would open the intake holes? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Not sure what you mean by intake holes. If you mean the holes under the flushing rim of the bowl then try a wire coat hanger and poke it into the holes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is so much build up around the holes that I'm not able to see where the holes are to unplug them with a coat hanger. Is there any chemical you would recommend, professional strength, that would cut through the build up so the holes would be easier to find?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

The problem is that nothing will stay put up under the rim long enough to work. You dump the products you've tried into the flush valve at the bottom of the tank while you hold the flapper up. Have you tried this? You can't use a stronger acid it will stain/ruin the finish on the bowl. You're only other option is to carefully chip away at it.