Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I have an American standard boiler that is probably 60 or 70

Customer Question

I have an American standard boiler that is probably 60 or 70 years old. It still fires up and is quiet. Service it regularly and heating bills are low. Lately the radiators only get luke warm. I can hear the heater shut on and off more or it is louder. There is no visible leakage
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (no water, no hot water, funny smells or noises, error codes, etc.)? How long has this been going on?
Customer: Its louder still fires ups no problem,,but radiators are luke warm..I have them bleed properly...The gas company says that the parts cant be found. I forget the name of the part but I think they said that the gas is not circulating properly and that there was a build up of gas in the furnace because it is not being released correctly
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just that the radiators were luke warm and I notice over the past month or last month of winder it was louder when it shut off...It is normally a very quiet unit
JA: Anything else you want the plumber to know before I connect you?
Customer: I still have the manual. It is a mode 2-GA-5-E series 11BRJ16
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Is this an oil or gas fired unit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Gas
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Ok, sounds like 2 separate issues. The loud noises are a potentially serious issue, delayed ignition. It must be corrected before something catastrophic happens. I wouldn't use the boiler until this is fixed. What the gas company told you is only partially right. You can't get original equipment parts for this boiler any more but it can be retrofitted with new parts that have upgraded safety measures. The luke warm radiators sounds like circulation problem which could be due to a bad relay or a bad pump. Both can be replaced. You just need to find a plumber willing to do the upgrade. But I will allow that these days most plumbers only want to sell you a new boiler instead of fixing what you have.