Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

This will be a tortured tail. I have a home built in 1893.

Customer Question

This will be a tortured tail. Hi. I have a home built in 1893. It sits on top of Belvedere Island. We are now contending with a long standing problem in the top bedroom toilet. On one wall is a toilet, and on the other side of a dividing wall is a shower. They meet at a Y and when they become clogged, and we are so very careful. No hair, no dental floss, "hold the handle so water will wash it down" rules, it still backs up once in awhile. I have had many plumbers come and look at it. They did all kinds of things as it looked like a muffler so we all contributed ideas and thoughts and recreated and drainage system that still clogs up. Can you help me? Thank you, ***** *****
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About a year. It is actually slowing getting better.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, I have done many DIY projects. I just rebuilt our cabin. My father taught me since I was a little girl.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I need help with suggestions on what to do about the "Y" shaped pipe that backs up. It can back up into the shower. What should I do? Thank you,
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: When it backs up, water goes down 4 floors and warps the wood. It is serious. I lived a beautiful historic home that sits next to Lincoln's home.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Does it only back up in the shower when using the toilet? Does the shower drain fine on it's own? Where is the sink connected and is there a vent connected to the pipe? do you have any pictures of the plumbing that you can post?