Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I am replacing my tankless hw heater and removed the old one

Customer Question

I am replacing my tankless hw heater and removed the old one 5 days ago and water has continuously dripped out of that hw supply line---about 40 gals in 5 days. I do not want to hook up or turn on the new hw heater with that slow reverse flow going into the unit.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: don't understand the Q
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have in the past, but this new problem bothers me. Where is the water coming from
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I am a certified factory trained repaire tech and installer for Rinnai, Takaghi, Noritz, Navian, and Bosch. Backwards flow like that can come from any of your single handle faucets or shower valves. Are you concerned about it with your tankless?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am ready to initiate the operation of the new Takaghi TK 4 IN P but am afraid the continuous reverse flow of water will effect the operation or condition of the new unit.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  WCohn replied 8 months ago.

No real need for concern. Cold water is forcing itself into the hot system because the pressures aren't equal. Once you have pressure on the hot side it'll be okay. For additional piece of mind put a spring check valve on the cold side feeding the Takaghi.

Does this answer your question?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do not want a call. I want you to respond to my last chat about the reverse flow affecting my new unit
Expert:  WCohn replied 8 months ago.

I didn't ask for a call. My answer is there is no need for concern. If you are still worried just put a spring check valve on the cold water side. It will prevent backwards flow.

Expert:  WCohn replied 8 months ago.

Does that makes sense? I'm willing to clarify it if you can tell me what part you need help with.

Expert:  WCohn replied 8 months ago.

Are YOU still there?