Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I ran a 3/4 in. line from existing tee in 1 1/2 in line for

Customer Question

Hi, I ran a 3/4 in. line from existing tee in 1 1/2 in line for gas range. Burners work but only one at a time and the bigger the burner the smaller the flame. Had Gas Co. come out and test for pressure at meter. Say it is ok. New stove and thinking it was defective, had its gas regulator replaced. Still get very little pressure at shut off valve at range. Any ideas? Thank you.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. When you were connecting the piping did you put sealant on the male end of the pipe and also inside the fitting? Did you convert the diaphragm in the stove for the proper fuel? Was the gas meter sized so that it could be the correct size for the added stove? Is the connection for the stove made after or before a regulator?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Mike, Used plenty of sealant, on the male end of the pipe. Not inside the fitting. Stove comes "preset" for use with natural gas and its gas regulator "Tab" is in the "UP" position for open.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
PS. In case not clear, using natural gas.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

I did originally ask what type but after reading again and seeing the part about the meter, I realized that it was NG and edited that part out. Did you bleed the air out of the line? What type of pipe did you use? Are you sure about the pipe sizes? That seems like a very large supply of 1 1/2". The meter is 1 1/2"?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Used black pipe throughout. To bleed out the air, I opened up the gas valve at the end of the line for a few seconds, say 5. Did notice not much gas coming out. (Not as in when replacing 2 hot water heaters in the past) Pipe size at meter has to be at least 1 1/2 inches. Very thick pipe. (Seems almost twice as thick as my 3/4 in pipe) Goes from meter up the side of the house into the attic then across to the furnace. This pipe ends at the base of the furnace with a plug/cap and a tee ( a few inches before the end of the pipe) the diameter of the thick pipe with a 1/2 inch fitting "top" of it. A 1/2 in pipe then goes up the side of the furnace, across and down into it .
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

That seems like it would be a very large meter for the house but probably not 1 1/2". It should say on the meter. To get a proper pressure test on the gas you need a manometer for a wc value. The water column value is much easier to go by since gas pressure is so low. So, you connected the gas line by the furnace or straight from the meter? Wherever you connected it, did you connect the supply before or after a regulator?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
MIke, my opening sentence stated that I ran a 3/4 in pipe from an existing tee in ...pipe. That being the case, no way it would be connected from the meter as you ask. . I have to tell you, this is now the second time you seem not to have read what I have written. If this is not a good time for you, please state so.At the time the original pipe to furnace was installed, a tee was put in for a future additional pipe for a range. The new supply line was connected to this tee. About a foot from this tee, a shut off valve was placed Then another shut off valve was placed at the end of the line by the range. Only pipe, fittings and 2 shutoff valves were used in line. The only regulator I am aware of is the one at the range and that was replaced and is in the open position. Please read again what I have written. It may shed some light on what the problem may be.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

Yes you state that you ran a 3/4 pipe from an existing tee in. You also described a tee at the furnace. The tee at the furnace is likely not for a future connection but a drip leg. It is for catching debris and moisture. If this is where you connected it then that is not the best way to go. The drip leg is important to collect moisture and debris. I read it a few times but was not clear as you described the meter and size and the furnace piping. I only wanted clarification and also wanted to know if it was connected before or after a regulator. There are regulators depending on W.C. value and demand. I also asked earlier if the gas company sized your meter when doing the pressure test and also if they tested the W.C. value or actual pressure. Did they use a manometer and did they size your meter? I am not asking these things again because I am not reading your replies or your description. I am asking again because they have not been responded to and also for clarification as I have not seen this project and am needing to be certain of things before being able to get you a definitive answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have twice already stated that a tee was put in at the time of the install for a future supply. I am aware of the drip leg and have told you that the new supply line was run of this tee. At no point did I mention the drip leg. Unfortunately we speak two different languages and see you have referred me to a new plumber not wishing to continue. Thank you.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 3 months ago.

I hope you understand why I would have mentioned the drip leg and I am sorry if my inquiries for clarity are bothersome but there is a means to an end here. I had to run out on an emergency call so I am also sorry about that. There were not seconds to spare for that situation. Gas pressure is not tested with a pressure gauge but with a manometer. I would like to know what the water column value is. I suspect that you may have too much gas pressure. If you could find that value and compare it to the maximum gas pressure for the stove that would be helpful to determining the issue.