Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber at performance plumbing and heating

My toyotomi bs36 uff oil fired water heater keeps shutting

Customer Question

My toyotomi bs36 uff oil fired water heater keeps shutting off, I've cleaned the flame sensor and the fuel strainer. When I reset it fires right back up but usually not for long
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: 2 weeks and it's worse since I cleaned the strainer but I did bleed out the air
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just before it shuts down I can see the red light flicker
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 2 months ago.

hi i am dan i can help you with this. what model cad cell relay do you have and do you have an ohm meter to check the cad cell?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If the cad cell relay is the same thing as the fire eye the #is p930-06. The # on the little gizmo the fire eye wires are connected to is us-60.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do have an old digital ohm meter
The cad cell relay is the part with the reset button. To test the eye disconect the two yellow wires from the cad cell relay and conect them to the ohm meter and let me know what the ohm reading is after the flame lights
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would rather do it this way
Do what what way?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is only one on/off button and one thermostat knob. I've been using the on/ off as the reset. There are 2 blue wires conn. to the button. There is 1 yellow and 1 brown to the thermostat knob. All the other wires (including one of the blue from the button) go to a little circuit board which the 3 lights (green, red and yellow) conn. to. Colors of wires are white, red, black, and green. There are 2 other yellow that conn. to the ignition transformer but they don't go to the button.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.