Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor

Every toilet,sink ,bath and shower gurgle loudly when water

Customer Question

every toilet,sink ,bath and shower gurgle loudly when water is draining I have had all drainage pipes cleaned and camera checked including vents and it still happens 3 plumbers/drainage cannot find out why
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to to helping you.

This sounds like a classic case of a venting issue. If a drainage system is not venting properly it will syphon water from the traps, which causes gurgling. Do you have any auto vents? (Also called air admittance valves or studies vents)

Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

How long has it been happening? How long have you lived in the house?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there are no problems with the venting these have all been explored and have all been ok.Lived here 6 years problem been going on for a few months now
Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

There are only two things it can be.

1. Partial clog
  2. Venting.

Are you on a septic system.?

Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

Have you done a recent remodel or addition? Have you climbed on the roof and ran a garden hose down the vent to see if that recreates the same sound?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no septic tank,no remodelling vents clear even when deliberately blocked noise still occurs
Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

Okay I'm still convinced it's a vent issue, but let me invite another expert Mike into the question and see if he's got any ideas on tracking it down.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. If I am able to diagnose what is at issue be sure to positively rate my friend Wade. I am just gong to chime in to assist a bit as Wade has done the same for me. When they did the camera, did they look in the sewer drain going out of the house or just the piping in the house? Has anyone looked in the attic to look at the vents? What I would want to know about the vents in the attic is if any vents have come out of their straps. The vent grades downward towards the vented fixtures when it is a horizontal vent in the attic. It may have come unstrapped and could be sagging. The sagging section of the vent will fill with rain water with time and block the vent and if they snaked or put a camera down the vent from the roof they may not notice standing water or a grade issue unless they actually went in the attic and looked at the vents. Also if the sewer tap is higher than the sewer pipe exiting the house there will be a septic pump that pumps it up to the tap, even on city sewer systems. Do you have an electrical box in the yard or on the side of the house with a red light on it or if you look in our electric panel box, is there a breaker labeled something similar to septic alarm or alarm or pump? So, will you let me know about that and we can go from there?

Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

Have we supplied you with a satisfactory answer?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Wade and I would very much like to help find a solution to your issue. If you will please respond to my inquiries from a couple of comments ago with as much detail as you can provide I am sure that we will find a solution to this issue. Mike

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have a sewer tap or a breaker in my electricity panel, i am not on septic tank, sewer pipe checked to where it joins main sewer thames water also checked mains, no building work been done one plumber thought it was the syphon changed one and now does not flush properly left the other two alone. three people checked the vents as they just go out through roof . Everyone tells me not to worry but the noise is very disconcerting any more ideas .Yours in hopes fregies mum
Expert:  WCohn replied 2 months ago.

Are you saying that now one toilet doesn't flush properly?

Gurgling is not something that should be happening. It's either from the "slug" of waste creating a syphon and suck water out of a trap or it having to push air through the "slug". It's like taking a full milk jug an turning it upside all at once. It make the gulping noise, but if you cut a hole in it then it can "breathe". Since I'm not onsite I can't go through every instance that can be at fault but I can tell you it's not normal and it shouldn't happen in a properly working system.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 months ago.

May I also ask for some clarification about what was checked with the vents? Did they only check from the roof or did they look at them in the attic? If you are unsure, will you look in the attic to see if any horizontal vents are not secure and drooping? If you fill the tub then drain it, does any water rise in the toilet or shower? Doing the same thing, does the water in the toilet move when the tub is draining?