Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I just moved into this house. I have a Ruudglas Pacemaker

Customer Question

I just moved into this house. I have a Ruudglas Pacemaker PH50. This morning, the local gas company came and turned on the gas, including lighting the water heater. About 30 minutes or so after he left, I found hot water coming steadily out of the copper pipe that runs most of the way down the side of the water heater. It was splashing onto the floor. Eventually, I turned off the water to the water heater via the yellow lever at the top. Any ideas about what was going on and what I can do about it? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!
JA: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?
Customer: Chris
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It depends on how complicated the work is.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It sounds like your pressure relief valve was discharging on excess pressure. When the heater heat a tank full of cold water there's a lot of thermal expansion in the water which raises the pressure as the water gets hot. The fix is to install a thermal expansion tank (see attached pic) to absorb the excess pressure so the relief valve won't trip. If you open a hot water faucet then turn the water to the water heater back on the discharge should stop. If it doesn't you'll have to replace the relief valve as well.

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Do you have more questions?