Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

Rick, I have an old style wirsbo brass manifold with

Customer Question

Hi Rick, I have an old style wirsbo brass manifold with actuators. My issue is one zone in a customers home will not allow me to pass water to that zone. The actuator is opening but what happens is the radiator only gets hot roughly half way through the 2 eight foot lengths of low volume wall mounted radiators. In order to get that hot water to the zone I have to open the bleeder and only then after allowing enough cool water to pee out the hot water shows up but as I said does not get more than half way through the the two radiators. I disconnected the supply and return and tested for a plug up in these radiators. I did have a fair amount of blackish grit in my catch bucket but water flowed through the radiators with no problem. I then made a call for heat and waited until the actuator had time to open and tried to blow 20 psi of air through said zone with no air coming back to me. Lastly with t-stat calling I tried to purge zone through the normal way with no luck. Have you ever had this happen to you? Is it possible that I am clogged in my feed or return lines?? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Hi Michael,

What type of piping arrangement is this? main and branch or a continuous loop?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have one circulator pushing 12 zones through two brass manifolds. So am assuming main and branch. All pex piping is 1/2 in diameter. Sorry for the delayed response
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Well it's highly unlikely you have a branch and main system if your tubing is all 1/2" pex unless your main is the manifold. So I'm going to assume the problem radiators are on a continuous loop branch. If that's the case your description would seem to indicate that the loop is blocked down stream (return side) of the radiators. If I understand your description you isolated this loop and couldn't get any flow of air through it when you put an air compressor to it. The blockage could be due to a kink in the PEX. If it's concealed (buried in a slab?) your only option would be to repipe from the last section of radiation where you know you have flow (where you get water out when you bleed it).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
a phone call would be great. Ill drop you a quick message in a couple of hours if that works with you we can talk then. Thanks so much for your quick response. talk soonMike
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Are you asking for a call? if so there is an additional charge. I'll post an additional service offer if you want to talk. Let me know.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Or just click on the call pop-up if one appears on your screen. I would call you so you so I need to know when you're available.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Do you still need help with this?