Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My daughter just called and said she had hot water in some

Customer Question

My daughter just called and said she had hot water in some rooms but not others. Since she only has one gas water heater, I can't imagine what could cause this problem. Could she have a plugged line somewhere?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Is the water just not hot or is there no water coming out of the hot side of the faucets? Is the house on a slab? where specifically does she have it? not have it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She has hot water at some locations but not all. For example, she has hot water in her downstairs master bath at the lavatories but not the shower. She does not have hot water at her kitchen. There is water coming from the hot side but it isn't hot. She has a slab foundation. It is a two story home with the gas hot water heater in the attic. By the way, she has hot water upstairs.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

So it sounds like she has no hot water in 1 shower and the kitchen sink is that the extent of it? are each of these faucets single handle faucets?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Both are single handle faucets but now she has told me that the bathtub isn't getting hot and it has two handles. I should probably go over there and see for myself.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Some possibilities include a crossover from the cold side to hot in a single handle faucet due to a bad cartridge. If she has a re-circulation line on the tank then the check valve at the bottom of the tank could be faulty. Could also be a cross over through the washing machine if the water is turned on to it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can run every faucet and see which ones are getting hot......and how hot. If I go back online, will I get you again or someone else?
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Just come back to this thread and we can pick up where we left off if you have more questions. You can rule the washer in or out by shutting off the water to it. Same with the kitchen sink (shut off the valves under the sink). Shower valves (faucets) that have single handle controls are another possible crossover candidate.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

I should mention I won't be online much longer. I'm on the East Coast and my day is about over. If you have more questions and I'm offline you can either opt me out if you need an immediate answer (a colleague will pick up the question) or I'll respond in the morning.

Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

How did this work out?