Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Somehow my water valve got turned off and the dishwasher ran

Customer Question

Somehow my water valve got turned off and the dishwasher ran without water. I turned the valve on. Heard s gush of water to the dishwasher. Now the dishwasher won't fill at all. Could something have been damaged or burned that prevents water from going in ?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Highly unlikely that running your dishwasher with the water turned off is the reason it won't fill now. A much more likely culprit is that the washer in the shut off broke loose and is clogging up the shut off. The first thing I would do is shut the water off to the house then pull the guts out of the shut off and check the washer. If the washer did break loose you'll probably have to replace the shut off valve.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing broke loose. Everything is connected
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

The washer is inside the shut off valve. You have to take the valve apart to see it. It's not unusual for a shut off valve to fail like this.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you saying I need to take the valve off the wall?
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

I'm saying the water main needs to be shut off and the guts need to be removed from the shut off to check it out.