Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

I have a Maytag water softener that is severely reducing my

Customer Question

I have a Maytag water softener that is severely reducing my water pressure. I tested the pressure from the pump (pre-softener) and it is perfect. Additionally, the salt I added in the bottom is in a large chunk at the bottom and it takes months to go through a bag of softener salt. Any ideas?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like your softener filter media bed is clogged. One solution is to re-bed the media (replace it) but it also sounds like your unit isn't back washing like it should which could be the cause of the clogged up media. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but given your description replacing the unit may be the best approach.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would it be worth it to try to rebed the media. Or is it a a waste of money, futile effort/ lost cause?
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Given that your description would also imply a problem with the controller re-bedding is probably a waste of time and money. Also when/if you install a new unit it might be worthwhile to put a sediment filter in the line before the softener. Sediment can also contribute to clogging the softener bed.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you give me pointers regarding replacing the media, how to get it to regenerate, etc.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have to try to repair. I have a sediment filter before the softener installed already.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Here's a link to directions

This site also sells replacement media.
Regeneration is part of the normal back wash cycle and given your description the controller is probably malfunctioning. Doing a manual regen now probably won't help but the procedure is in your manual.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

I have been called away. If you have more questions I'll respond when I return (about an hour). If not I'd appreciate a favorable rating.