Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

Have a Dunkirk Empire II Boiler Model 4EW1.25T.....it is

Customer Question

Have a Dunkirk Empire II Boiler Model 4EW1.25T.....it is summer so the heat is off and it is just being used for hot water. Had a sudden issue where the pipes started thumping and hot water was coming through the baseboard heating pipes. The baseboards got so hot I could not even touch them. There is a little air release valve over the Extrol which normally lets out little to no air which was now blowing steam out of it like a tea kettle. Did some valve fail? Not sure why with the heat off it was pumping heat through the baseboards and making the pipe thump so loud and hard you would have thought someone was punching the wall. Any clue?...Thank you in advance for your help.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like your limit control is malfunctioning and the water in the boiler is way too hot. What is the temp on the boiler gauge? what do you have for zone control? zone valves? a pump for each zone?