WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber/Estimator
6211579

I recently HAD A SINK INSTALLED in my kitchen and bathroom,

Customer Question

I recently HAD A SINK INSTALLED in my kitchen and bathroom, the compound the installer (handyman) used has a strong TAR / OIL small that has not dissipated after a month. I found a piece that fell off under the sink & I reached under the counter and pulled off a brownish soft 'play doh' type substince between the new counter and sink that is the exact smell. Must have washed my hands over 10 xs and the smell will not go away? I cannot seem to find what it is and the smell is very strong and not going away. I cannot beleive this product is meant to be used for this purpose. It is spread all over the cut out of the NEW counter top and will NOT be easy to remove. Do you know what it can be?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Over a month ...
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Work was already completed.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, but a solution to removing all that compound and awful smell would help.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you

Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Plumbers putty is a Playdoe type material which sounds like what you've described, however it is mineral oil based and should not smell like tar.

This is why I recommend hiring a plumber to do plumbing rather than a handyman. Id appreciate a positive rating for answering your question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried to do a friend a favour, it was not save money.
And I realize it is not 'Plumber's putty" and that's why I am asking a plumber what it could be and how to correct the problem.
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Well if it's not something a plumber would use I'm afraid you should ask your friend you were helping out.