WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber/Estimator
6211579

Flammable vapor sensor lockout, Just started, If I can, I

Customer Question

Flammable vapor sensor lockout
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just started
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I turned it off for 5 mins
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Is there any paint or cleaning products stored near the water heater? Is the water heater on a stand or on the floor?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Floor
Expert:  Mike R. replied 7 months ago.

There may be a leak on the gas pipe or it could be that there is an exhaust leak. Gasses collect on the floor and if the room is undisturbed the gasses will become concentrated. The FVS will be more sensitive because the water heater is set on the floor and not on a stand. It would be better if the water heater was set on a stand and it is likely to be reset if you turn the water heater off and get a lot of air into the room. Sometimes the sensor will need to be replaced and the manufacturer will almost certainly provide a replacement for free.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 7 months ago.

If the water heater has never been serviced the issue could have been caused by incomplete combustion which would be a symptom of a failing gas valve, flame sensor, dirty burner area or failing spark electrode.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 7 months ago.

The perfect fix would be to clean the burner area, clean the spark electrode and flame sensor and replace as necessary and clean the drip leg of the gas supply along with replacing the sensor and placing the water heater on a stand.

Expert:  WCohn replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** if you still need help I think I have your answer. Let me know if you need it.