WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber/Estimator
6211579

My 3 year old delta 9197T-AR-DST faucet will only turn on

Customer Question

My 3 year old delta 9197T-AR-DST faucet will only turn on fully when I move the solenoid. I have used this faucet without the batteries for 2 years now it only works when I move the solenoid.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 4 months ago.

Do you mean "move" or "remove"?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
34; move". I either reach under he sink or just pull down on the head far enough to " move" it then turn on faucet with a full stream. Otherwise water just trickles out.

Does the solenoid make any noise? Ussually you will hear it "click" of a faint electric hum. Next up, do you have any electrical test equipment? Without it, this is really all acedemic.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Guess you know about the same as me. Bot***** *****ne I just keep messing around with it or by pass solenoid all together if i can
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

I believe this is a system where the location of the solenoid is very crucial. Let me take a look. Please let me know you are still needing help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It appears to me you guys haven't run into this situation before. I will be contacting deltas tech support for suggestions on how to proceed
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Hold on please

Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Is the metal parts of the faucet body making contact with the sink?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

See here

Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Here as well

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The faucet was installed 3 years ago by a plumber. It has worked well for 3 years. All of a sudden after normal use it takes me to "jiggle" the selenoid before i get a full stream. It dribbles out until i move the selenoid.
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Are you just tapping it? And are you touching it bare handed? This things have had inadvertent grounding issues. The battery pack needs to be laying flat on the bottom of the cabinet.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I reach under with my hand and move it. The battery pack is laying flat on the bottom of the cabinet. No metal or wires are miss placed or wrapped around anything. Interesting that these faucets have phantom grounding issues. That gives me something to explore and at least a place to start discounting piece by piece the chance to ground.
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Try moving it with something like a towel wrapped around your hand. Just a test

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will do that and address any other grounding issues that could happen
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Okay I'm here to help if you need me

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

.