Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Related question to one I asked before. I'm installing

Customer Question

Related question to one I asked before.I'm installing drainage on my garage through a floor drain, the drainage pipe will eventually discharge to a septic field.
the drainage will also carry sewage from the upstairs appartment. I started putting the floor drain together and realized that the P-trap and drain connector is too short. What should the minimum distance between the ABS piping that is carrying the water from the floor drain to the bottom of the concrete slab be? Please see attached pictures.
Any other comments are welcome. Is the minimum slope in the pipe 1/4" per foot ok?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

ABS is very tough. Football helmets are made from ABS. There's no minimum distance below the slab. 1/4" per foot pitch is code complaint.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Rick,From the pictures, and location of the riser where I'll be tying in the drainage from the top floor do you feel I'm approaching the installation correctly?
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Looks like the pipe will be in the slab pour judging from what I can see in the pics. You need to protect the pipe if it's in the pour and you also need to protect the pipe from stones coming in contact with it. Looks like you're doing that in some of the pics. You can also use washed sand to back fill the trench to protect the pipe.

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Rick, about how much sand would you put around the ABS piping?
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

The rule for PVC is 1' in all directions. ABS is tougher pipe and it looks like you only have small stones in the trench so 6" should be enough.

Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

I'd appreciate a favorable rating