Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I live in a 12-unit, 5 story condo building in Chicago. We

Customer Question

I live in a 12-unit, 5 story condo building in downtown Chicago. We have a hot-water cross-over problem (showers often only output fully hot water no mater where the single lever handle is set). We had a plumber in, who inspected all 12 units (expecting to find a shower with a faulty shower cartridge, or washing machine) but they didn't find anything. The plumber left with no real recommendation to trouble shoot the problem.
In my unit, I have another odd plumbing symptom (could be unrelated) but hot water takes a long time to get to my kitchen sink. Our unit has it's own hot water heater w/ tank. All the other sinks in the house get fast hot water (and obviously the shower gets fast hot water due to problem above), but our kitchen sink which is closer to the hot water heater takes MUCH longer to get hot. The kitchen sink is only about 30 feet from the heater, so assuming the pipes are 40 feet long, my 1.2 gal/sec flow rate, hot water should take 27 secs to reach the sink, but it's actually taking 80 seconds. A bathroom sink twice as far from hot water heater only takes 30 secs to get hot water.
So either my building has some odd pipes, and the there is a lot of extra pipe in the way of the kitchen sink or something else is the problem. Could the kitchen sink hot water be related to the building cross-over problem?
I'm really tired of wasting 1.4 gallons of water to get hot water in the kitchen, and I'm really tired of taking scalding hot showers! Any suggestions of how to troubleshoot are appreciated.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

This is a very in depth question, but I can explain it much better via phone call.

Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Problem solved yet?