Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor

I am having an issue of the toilet not flushing properly

Customer Question

I am having an issue of the toilet not flushing properly after replacing wax ring. I've now used 4 different types of ring (wax, extended wax, wax free fernco, sani-seal, and doubled the wax ring). I've also put 2 different, brand new toilets in addition to the original one and they are ALL doing the same thing. The bowl fills as if it's going to flush and then just stops but eventually drains away slowly and never refills in the bowl to normal level. I've poured multiple 5 gallon buckets down the toilet bowl (and it "flushes") and separately down the drain pipe with the toilet removed and everything flows away just fine. I've put a rented snake from HD 40 feet into the line and no blockage anywhere. The toilet is only about 2 feet from the main stack. It's a basement toilet and has worked for 3 years. I just started noticing the grout around the toilet was darker so realized a small leak from the bottom. Any ideas? :/ :(
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Your description usually indicates a blocked vent. I know you say it's only 2' from the stack but that's what your description indicates. If you're on a septic tank I'd suggest getting the tank pumped.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Rick,
Nothing has changed in the ventilation and I checked to make sure the current pipes aren't blocked. Not on a septic system.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Well, given your lengthy description (2 new toilets, flushes ok with a bucket etc)the only likely explanation is a venting issue. By that I mean the plumbing vent for the toilet drain. The toilet may be close to the main stack but the stack is not or should not be the for this toilet. At the basement it's a waste stack not a vent stack. The toilet should have a separate vent pipe which may be clogged.