WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber/Estimator

I have a problem I'm hoping you can help me with. My A/C

Customer Question

Hello. I have a problem I'm hoping you can help me with. My A/C unit is in my basement. Beside it is a drain pipe for the A/C condensation. The drain has recently began to overflow from the floor. I initially thought it was an HVAC issue but after turning the unit off at the breaker and removing the PVC drain pipe (which runs from the a/c) the pipe still overflowed.
My basement has a one bedroom apartment with it's own kitchen and dishwasher. I found, through process of elimination, the pipe seems to overflow when the basement dishwasher is running or when the sink beside the dishwasher is running. It does not SEEM to overflow when anything else is running/flushing/etc downstairs or upstairs.
My home was built in 1970. I have been there 5 years and this problem just began recently. What could be the issue?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Wade. I'm currently at work so if it takes me a few to respond you know why.
Expert:  WCohn replied 3 months ago.

It sounds to me like you have a slow drain on a branch line. Dishwashers are pumped into the drain quite fast and more likely to expose a slow drain. I'd have a pro com out and snake the line from the floor drain

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. That is kind of what I figured. What does something like that normally cost to have done.... just a ballpark estimate.
Expert:  WCohn replied 3 months ago.

I charge $175 for the first drain and then $42 for each additional.

I'd appreciate a positive rating and any tip you feel I deserve.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks brother. I'm driving so I'll take care of you as soon as I get to my destination.
Expert:  WCohn replied 3 months ago.

Sounds good. Drive safe

Expert:  WCohn replied 3 months ago.

Did I answer your question to your satisfaction?