Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor

Plumbing problem

Customer Question

Plumbing problem
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

What is the problem? are the drains backing up or is the water not going down?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The plumbing chirps particularly when the tap is turned off. This was soon after a noritz heater was installed.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

The most common sources of this type of noise is from an outside faucet that has a hose attached. Do you have a hose attached to an outside faucet? if so try removing it and see if the noise goes away.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have disconnected the hose on the outside of the house, the squeak is still there. BTW the hose has been there for 20 or 30 years and the squeak only for a year, soon after the water heater was replaced with the noritz heater.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

There's nothing on a tankless heater that's likely to cause this or any type of noise when you turn off a faucet. Other possible sources are a PRV (pressure reducing valve) or a back flow preventer on the water main. Since the water was turned off when the heater was installed it's possible some sediment that was stirred up when the water was turned back on could be fouling one of these devices.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Unfortunately you have not been able to resolve the problem, There have been no pressure reducing valves installed and I sought that any sediment was in the pipes as they were replaced to the street about 6 years ago. We noticed that you added the $16 to our bill, could you remove it? I have been informed by a friend that there are some postings on U-tube about noises from tankless heaters.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

I don't have anything to do with billing issues. Please contact customer service at

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The answers I got do not work with the problem I have. How do I get a refund.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Contact customer service for a refund.