How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Greg Chick Your Own Question
Greg Chick
Greg Chick,
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 0
Experience:  sole owner at self employed contractor 40 yrs.
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Greg Chick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a stone bathtub that is 4.5" thick at the drain

Customer Question

Hello,I have a stone bathtub that is 4.5" thick at the drain hole. Im having trouble finding a drain assembly that has long enough threads to go all the way through the tub. Do you know of an adapter or an extra long drain assembly that will work? OR any other ideas?Thanks,
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  WCohn replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Great. I forgot to mention, the hole is 2 1/8" diameter.
Expert:  WCohn replied 11 months ago.

I personally have never seen anything for this kind of application.

Expert:  Greg Chick replied 11 months ago.

If you send me a picture I would be better able to answer. But having said that, what is used is acme non tapered threads and a jam nut. The jam nut would be brass and the trim inside the tub would be a 2" shower drain having a 2" PVC or ABS socket. The fabrication is one that requires some skill as this is not a standard set up. There are ways to fabricate 2" IPS from a shower pan drain fitting. Or using a section of 2" threaded PVC and a 2" jam nut on both ends and a drop in grill for cosmetic reasons and to keep out bars of soap etc. The flush valve of some toilets is a 2" acme thread use ta nut for that for jam nuts and use the spud gasket for the seal.

Related Plumbing Questions