Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a trip lever bathtub drain. The tub is about 30 years

Customer Question

I have a trip lever bathtub drain. The tub is about 30 years old, with Kohler parts. I wanted to take out the trip lever drain, cap it with a new overflow plate, and install some kind of push up or unscrew drain to the floor of the tube (after removing the old drain on the floor of the tub). Essentially, I want to eliminate the trip lever entirely and rely on the push up drain as the only draining mechanism. Do you think this can be done and is it advisable?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Yes it can be done and is a viable alternative. If you want to replace the entire waste & overflow the question is: is the waste & overflow accessible? If it isn't or is difficult to get to it can be a challenge to replace it and probably will take 2 guys for part of the job.

There is a retrofit kit that will work with most old tub wastes that's available at Home Depot. With it you can leave the overflow and drain shoe piping in place if it's in good shape.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watco-1-625-in-Overall-Diameter-x-16-Threads-x-1-25-in-Push-Pull-Trim-Kit-with-38101-Bushing-in-Chrome-Plated-38190-CP/204758263

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?