Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

We have two cut-off valves, on a couple of small pipes. One

Customer Question

We have two cut-off valves, on a couple of small pipes. One goes to the sink, another goes to the toilet. They are so stiff, that I have to use a wrench to turn them. One of them broke. Should I spray WD-40, or what you use on rusty bolts to lubricate them?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Spraying the valve stem with WD40 won't work because the packing around the stem that keeps the water from leaking out will stop the WD40 from going where you need it. You'll probably need to replace the valves. You could try turning the water off then back off the hex/bonnet nut behind the handle and remove the stem then clean and grease the threads on the stem but there's a good chance the valve will leak or fail when you put it back together so you have to be prepared to replace it going in.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. Will do and let you know results
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

How did it go?