Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

I am having pvc pipe put in to replace old clay pipe in

Customer Question

I am having pvc pipe put in to replace old clay pipe in central Texas. What is the proper depth for them to be installed to prevent freezing?
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: ok
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No. I have a licensed plumber doing the work, but the depth seems shallow. I want to make sure it is right so as not to cause any future problems.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I do not think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Your description leads me to think that this is a drain line. There is no minimum depth for drain lines to prevent them from freezing since it should never have any water (except moving waste water) in it. Only water lines need to be protected from freezing since they are always under pressure and full of water. Minimum depth to bury a water line is 1' below deepest expected frost depth which varies depending on where you live.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They are rerouting my washing machine line to be connected to the main city line. They are also digging up old clay pipe and replacing it with PVC pipe and will connect washing machine line to the new PVC pipe and city connection.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Ok, so my original answer applies.

Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No more questions
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

I'd appreciate a favorable rating