Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

The water heater stops working every two days I have to keep

Customer Question

the water heater stops working every two days I have to keep plugging it in a few times to make it work I think it is stuck on vacation mode
JA: Sometimes plumbing issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Plumber I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: How do I fix the vacation timer it is stuck in vacation
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The water heater will go on if we unplug it in and out a few times
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

What is the brand and model number of your heater? does the gas control valve have 2 arrows (not a dial) to adjust the water temp? If so which LED's are lit when i doesn't work besides vacation?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The brand name is ***** ***** model number is ***** yes it has two arrows far left warm is light and the letters a and b
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Ok, the gas valve is telling you that the heater had an ignition error. Since it will start back up by cycling the power the most likely culprit is a dirty flame sensor. The flame sensor is positioned in the main burner flame (see attached picture for typical). You can clean off the metal rod of the sensor with steel wool or fine aluminum oxide sandpaper. Also vacuum out the burner chamber while you have it open. A stray rust flake can ground out the sensor and also cause a failure. Be careful that the sensor remains in the same position the spacing between the burner and the sensor is important

Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

If you mean far left A & B plus the LED under the triangle then there is a problem with the gas valve and the only fix is to replace it

Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?